Saturday 23 February 2013

Oscars 2013 predictions

Oscars 2013 predictions


With the Academy Awards just days away, it's always a fun time to spin the wheel and see if you can predict the winners of the 2013 Oscars.

It's an interesting list of Oscar nominations, and with other award ceremonies setting the pace and trend, there could be some surprises on the night.

So, with fellow critics ringing in, it's about time I cast my hat into the ring - and put what credibility I have on the line as I look at the main categories.

Best picture - Not quite the clear picture this one; early betters were going with Lincoln, but the rash of snubs for it elsewhere mean the race has become a little more interesting. Zero Dark Thirty was hit by controversy over the torture, but I'd still not rule that out. I also think Argo's strong showing on the pre-awards circuit mean it could be a contender.

Best picture winner prediction- Argo  - though don't rule out Zero Dark Thirty or Lincoln at an outside shot. Particularly as those two films celebrate what it means to be an American and make a difference in some ways. (Though Argo does that as well)

Best director - This one is a really interesting category with no real strong forerunner. I'm wondering if Ang Lee will take it for Life of Pi; while the film didn't do it for me, I think Ang Lee brought something wonderful to the screen visually and turned a previously unfilmable novel into a worldwide hit.

Best director winner prediction - Ang Lee - though this category could offer up a surprise or two.

Best actor - Easily, by a small pointy beard, this will go to Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln. While that film didn't hit any of the right notes for me, being a long worthy but dull fest, there's no denying his portrayal of the role is sensational. He's won elsewhere too so I reckon he will take it for the third time.

Best actor winner prediction - Daniel Day-Lewis. 

Best supporting actor - This could be one of two here I reckon. Alan Arkin and Christoph Waltz rightly were nominated for Argo and Django Unchained and while Waltz has already won, I do wonder if there could be a smattering of love for Arkin's Hollywood mogul in Argo. My head says Waltz, but my heart reckons there could be an upset here.

Best supporting actor winner prediction - Christoph Waltz

Best actress - I think Jessica Chastain will take this one. And rightly so, for the work she did in Zero Dark Thirty was blistering. The only other threat is potentially Jennifer Lawrence, but I wonder if the Academy will  wait to honour her again at another time. Chastain's had a stunning recent run and has impressed in every role so she's building up quite the body of work.

Best actress winner prediction - Jessica Chastain.

Best supporting actress - This is clearly Anne Hathaway's for the unending misery of Les Miserables. She's won already in other awards and while the film hit no emotional notes for me, I can't deny the power of her I Dreamed a Dream. No one else stands out in this category, purely in terms of buzz - which is a shame. Though it could be worth seeing if she cries if she doesn't win....

Best supporting actress winner prediction - Anne Hathaway.

Elsewhere, I think there will be awards for Amour for best foreign film, Quentin Tarantino will get something for Django in terms of screenplay, and Life of Pi should pick up a few here and there.

Check back on the blog for the full list of the Oscars 2013 winners and any notable action from the show!

Here's some additional predictions if it goes the way I suspect it could:

Best film - Lincoln (hoping not)
Best director - Steven Spielberg (hoping not)
Best actor - Daniel Day Lewis
Best actress - Jessica Chastain
Best supporting actress - Anne Hathaway
Best supporting actor - Christoph Waltz
Best animated film - Brave
Best adapted screenplay - Argo
Best original screenplay - Django Unchained
Best cinematography - Life of Pi
Best costume design - Les Miserables
Best documentary - Searching for Sugar Man
Best foreign film - Amour
Best makeup - Les Miserables
Best original song - Skyfall
Best animated short - Paperman
Best visual effects - Life of Pi (though I want the Hobbit to win)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Priscilla: Blu Ray Review

Priscilla: Blu Ray Review Cast: Cailee Spaeny, Jacob Elordi Director: Sofia Coppola Adapted from Priscilla Presley's own memoir Elvis an...