Saturday 20 April 2013

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: James Roque

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: James Roque



1) Tell us what your show is called this year?
James Roque is Chicken!

2)  Why?
Because it’s true! I have the award for most chicken person on Earth (self-awarded)

3) Can you give us a few hints as to what broadly your festival show is about?
The show is me trying to face my fears by laughing at them. It’s going to be terrifying. I may or may not cry. No refunds if I cry.

4) How much time have you spent crafting the show over the past 12 months since the end of the last festival?
What I should say is “Heaps! I spent the whole 12 months just non-stop writing.” But what I will say is “I played too much Pokemon and wrote jokes sometimes”.

5) The comedy festival is turning 21 this year – it’s a big age 21 – what are your memories of being 21? Or if you’re not old enough yet, you lucky person, what are your hopes for being 21?
I actually only turned 21 last year! My favourite memory is going up to my younger cousin and asking “Do you remember the show Hey Arnold?” and him replying with “What’s that?” and me feeling real down about it.




6) The Comedy festival is one big party and catch up for a month - is there anyone you’re looking forward to seeing over here either socially or on stage?
I’d be too scared to list names in case I miss anyone. (But really I don’t know enough people to justify catching up with them! Comedians, if you are reading this, let's be friends so we can catch up one day)

7) What’s the comedy scene like at the moment who do you rate and why?
The comedy scene is awesome! I’m really stoked to be a part of it – especially as one of the younger comedians. There’s such a talented group of younger comics doing their thing at the moment. I have a lot of love for Fanfiction Comedy and I’m honoured to be part of it. They will go far for sure.


8)  What’s the best piece of audience interaction you’ve had?
One time I was doing my joke about how ridiculous the Filipino accent sounded and a Filipino woman in the audience tried to heckle me. Only thing was she had such a strong Filipino accent that I didn’t even need to rebuttal it. It was almost cheating. Don’t heckle me with a Filipino accent.


9) What’s the most memorable part of performing for you within the last 12 months?
Performing as part of Minority Report (with Eli and Edith) last year! Had heaps of fun performing that one and we were extremely proud of the show we created. It was really rewarding to know that we could put a show on all by ourselves. Also, I got to MC a Raw Comedy night at the Classic not too long ago. It was crazy having all the new aspiring comedians asking me for advice, ‘cause it wasn’t that long ago that I was in their shoes. I just wanted to go “I’m just as lost as you! WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME FOR ADVICE!?”


10) When we say New Zealand International Comedy Festival to you, what’s the first thing you think of?
The vibes. I know that’s really broad, but I just love that feeling in the air when the festivals on. It’s like a mixture of nervous energy, stress and happiness. I dig that because it makes all the comedians step their game up and rise to the occasion.


11) How would you persuade people to come and see your show?
Everyone has fears, guys! If you help me get over mine, I might even help you get over yours during the show. Also, I will give you a ride home if you need it (you must provide the car).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Wonka: Blu Ray Review

Wonka: Blu Ray Review  Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Calah Lane, Keegan-Michael Key, Paterson Joseph, Matt Lucas, Mathew Baynton, Sally Hawkins, ...