Saturday 20 April 2013

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: John Carr

Comedy Fest Questionnaire: John Carr




1) Tell us what your show is called this year?

Yo Yo Yo!

2)  Why?

Mainly because I liked the sound it gave to the  show’s website address: yoyoyo.co.nz. Also because the words, just like the performer in the show, have a  strong  “old school” rap pedigree.

3) Can you give us a few hints as to what broadly your festival show is about?

The show tells the  almost true “rags to bitches” story of an ageing white rapper’s journey from the mean streets of Bucklands Beach to Queen Street, told by the Godfather of Geriatric Rap himself.

4) How much time have you spent crafting the show over the past 12 months since the end of the last festival?
I’m a rapper. If I kept time sheets I’d have a real job.

5) The comedy festival is turning 21 this year – it’s a big age 21 – what are your memories of being 21?

!975 was a big year. The Vietnam War ended and I bought my first car, a 1959 Ford Prefect. I was very happy about both of those things.

6) The Comedy festival is one big party and catch up for a month - is there anyone you’re looking forward to seeing over here either socially or on stage?

Not really, I’m a street rapper and comedians are a bit “funny” if you know what I mean. I am looking forward to seeing James Norkise, Brendhan Lovegrove  and Ewab Gilmour though, they are all pretty “street” in their different ways. I’m also looking forward to catching up with Tevita Manukia, he owes me ten bucks.

7) What’s the comedy scene like at the moment who do you rate and why?

The comedy scene is vibrant at the moment and there has been a noticeable improvement in standard in recent years. There’s lots of energy , activity and competition. 
I rate most of the big names in New Zealand comedy, especially Nick Radovanovicch who seems to have added at least 8 letters to his in the last six months. Of the up and comers Guy Williams, Tom Furniss and Eli Mathewson  and TJ McDonald all make me laugh out loud.


8)  What’s the best piece of audience interaction you’ve had?
I was performing my “Colostomy Bag Rap” when a drunk woman in the front row called out to her friend, “Oh my God! How does he know? How does he know?”
I stopped  to enquire if she was wearing a colostomy bag.
She said, “No! But my friend here is, and it was a secret till you opened your big mouth!”


9) What’s the most memorable part of performing for you within the last 12 months?
Getting my  58 year old face on the poster for  the “Next Generation” show which showcased young and up and coming talent as part of The Classic’s 15th birthday celebrations. I felt this was a significant achievement given that I was at least 10 years older than all of the comedians in “The Originals” show which was on the week before.
10) When we say New Zealand International Comedy Festival to you, what’s the first thing you think of?
The New Zealand International Comedy Festival.


11) How would you persuade people to come and see your show?
First I try really hard to create a sense of obligation  among my family, friends, and workmates to come to the show, and to bring their friends along. Then I appeal to their extended families as well.
When I get really desperate I stand outside the venue and pretend to be the Mad Butcher. That always gets a few street people in looking for free sausages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

The Lie: Movie Review

The Lie: Movie Review Director: Helena Coan Making great fist of CCTV footage throughout, director Helena Coan builds a strong picture of 21...