Sunday 21 April 2013

Comedy Festival Questionnaire: Urzila Carlson

Comedy Festival Questionnaire: Urzila Carlson



1) Tell us what your show is called this year?
The long flight to freedom

2)  Why?
Because the flight was long and I feel free where I am now (with clothes on)

3) Can you give us a few hints as to what broadly your festival show is about?
It’s about moving to NZ from SA and the adjustments to living here, the similarities and the hilarity that is my life.

4) How much time have you spent crafting the show over the past 12 months since the end of the last festival?
I’ve been thinking about it all year but only started writing it a month ago.

5) The comedy festival is turning 21 this year – it’s a big age 21 – what are your memories of being 21? Or if you’re not old enough yet, you lucky person, what are your hopes for being 21?
I loved being 21! My skin was great and my hair was great. I also only got my license the week I turned 21 so I felt very free and adult!

6) The Comedy festival is one big party and catch up for a month - is there anyone you’re looking forward to seeing over here either socially or on stage?
Yes! It is a great time to catch up and this year Geraldine Quinn from Australia will be hitting our shores and she is extremely funny and well worth a see!

7) What’s the comedy scene like at the moment who do you rate and why?
The comedy scene is great, in my opinion it always has been. It’s not fair to ask who I rate, I rate everyone! I think if you want a safe bet for a show, try one of the big line up shows you can’t go wrong and then pick who you want to see from that.

8)  What’s the best piece of audience interaction you’ve had?
I was talking about dieticians, and there was a table full of dieticians right in the front and I said well atleast you aren’t the ones from TV judging us….and they were! It was Claire Turnbull and her mates.

9) What’s the most memorable part of performing for you within the last 12 months?
I did a gig for Just for Laughs in Sydneys Opera House. That was mind blowing.

10) When we say New Zealand International Comedy Festival to you, what’s the first thing you think of?
The Classic Comedy Bar on Queen Street

11) How would you persuade people to come and see your show?
I’m not above begging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very latest post

Late Night with the Devil: Movie Review

Late Night with the Devil: Movie Review A genre film mixing pulp thrills and a recreation of a 70s late night talk show, Late Night with the...